Tuesday, June 2, 2009

struggle for beauty.

This is a poem about the pressures of society and how it drives Pecola Breedlove, From The Bluest Eye by Toni Morrison into a state of madness. Her feelings of self hatred caused by society and their definition of beauty cause Pecola to desire something that is beyond what she can have, blue eyes.

Struggle for beauty.

As if the sun didn't shine,
and the water didn't run down the creek,
we would be dried, and in grieve.
you wouldn't enjoy this, but you would enjoy seeing it happen to me.
Evidently its what people in this town would like to see happen to me,
they are the cause but never the cure.
They purposely drown me and never throw a hand across for me to grab,
When they do throw a hand, its to tease me, see if I'm gullible enough to even reach for it, or simply for a good laugh.
I'm even the bigger fool, i would reach out.
They would once accept me, even for the slightest of seconds if i only had blue eyes, big blue eyes.
Behind those blue eyes would be love, happiness, talent, beauty, and intelligence.
Pretty dresses and soft blond hair, smiles to charm even the harshest creatures.
i could even love myself if i had blue eyes.


Reflection-
Again, finding a genre was difficult, but i knew i wanted to write a poem. At first i was going to do something about Holden Caulfield, but i was doing too much work about him so i settled for Pecola and her desire for blue eyes, in the beginning i wanted a specific moment to write about like when Pecola had a breakdown and thought she had blue eyes, but i couldn't wrap my head around it since i didn't know how it felt so i went for something more familiar and that is happening in today's society, the struggle for beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment